Saturday

Valedictory Message for the 63rd Fraternity Ball, Induction Ceremonies and Alumni Homecoming

TAU KAPPA PHI, Salute!

Our induction speaker, Brother Justice Danton Bueser, distinguished awardees – Brother Justice Roland Jurado, (Brother Congressman Pidi Barzaga, Brother Mayor Stanley Alegre, Brother Fiscal Jimmy Umpa) and Brother Jim Montealegre, The Immediate Past Grand Chancellor, GC Begit Languisan, Past Grand Chancellors in attendance today, other distinguished brothers in the government and private sectors, other honorees and inductees, my fellow residents, guests, good evening.

As a popular saying goes, “All good things must come to an end.” Today, as my term as the Grand Chancellor of our fraternity formally comes to fruition, I am confronted with mixed emotions – those that generally accompany good byes – some regret of letting go of something you have come to love, a little joy of having been freed of some time for myself, and a lot of pride of having seen my contributions flourish and benefit TAU KAPPA PHI.

Thank you for the support, for the time, for the trust. Whatever we have accomplished is our joint efforts, and I shall be forever indebted to you all.

Serving as Grand Chancellor at the start of the 2nd decade of the 2nd millennia is no mean feat. We have achieved in some things, and failed in some things. I have my share of joys during the one-year term, I also had my share of faults – of error in judgments I’d rather not remember but I cannot forget. I deeply regret those days, and I am truly sorry. One can never truly appreciate the value of trust and time, unless you lost it, or you have taken it for granted. However, all things must end. Gen. Douglas MacArthur said to the joint session of Congress, “old soldiers never die, they just fade away.” As I join the Grand Chancellor’s League at the Presidential Table tonight, I shall fade into the sea of humanity and let my successor take on the reins of our fraternity. To the next Grand Chancellor, GC Andres, we have left a stronger fraternity than it was a year ago, build on our gains and make it stronger next year. You have my word of honor; I shall help you in whatever you require of me. I await your marching orders GC Andres! I-utos mo, susunod ako!

For my fellow inductees, tonight is our night. When I see the bright smiles of the newly-inducted TAU KAPPANS, I see myself three years ago when I was first inducted as a member of our distinguished fraternity. As I have frequently told you, “kung ano ang ginagawa namin sa inyo, gagawin niyo rin yan sa isang taon, itaga niyo yan sa bato.” Pasensya na brods, walang personalan, trabaho lang, bawi nalang kayo sa next inductees. You are my chosen brods, make me proud. I know that all of you shall make good your pledges to the fraternity. Always remember that Common Man you are, and common our heritage is. When you are faced with a quandary, remember the day when you recited your pledge, when you first read the Creed, and when you first received the baptism that marks all TAU KAPPANS, you shall know what to do. Know this, if there is one thing I would pride myself till my death bed is that during my term, kayo ang mga na-recruit ko. My greatest legacy is not the programs or projects we have done, but the fact that I am now looking at a brighter future for TAU KAPPA PHI because of 20 new souls, 20 humble men called to greatness, 20 common men of uncommon talents. Kayo ang lakas ko! Kayo ang kasiyahan ko sa nakalipas na isang taon! Maraming salamat sa inyo!

Borrowing a line from a famous quote, whatever good I can do, whatever things I can share, let me do it now, for I shall not pass by this way again. Tonight, as I am being inducted as Grand Chancellor, I realized that it is indeed a rare privilege I am so blessed to have experienced. However, it is for me, a rarer opportunity having you all here, sharing this particular moment with me, to the sound of melodious cheers and familiar jeers, victorious chants and animated laughter, a typical TAU KAPPAN celebration. It is a moment in time that shall forever be frozen in our minds and hearts. So to all of us here, let us make this day count, and let us look forward next year.

Conquering glory; it is the tall order I imposed upon myself at the start of my term as Grand Chancellor. I shall not go into details what we have accomplished during the past year, for that would be self-serving. I rest content knowing that we did what we can, to the best of our abilities, and with the help our alumni and resident brothers, we came out victorious, TAU KAPPAN style – simple pero rock. Ganyan tayong mga koboy, magagawan ang lahat ng paraan. Bilang Caviteño, ginawa ko ang lahat ng bagay ng may puso at karangalan, may kaunting yabang pero puno ng katikasan. Brothers, seeing all things turn out just right, I can say, WE HAVE CONQUERED GLORY, ad maiorem Dei gloriam.

I now pass on the paddle. To all of you, my final salute.

I LOVE TAU KAPPA PHI! I LOVE TAU KAPPA PHI! I LOVE TAU KAPPA PHI!

Magandang gabi po, maraming salamat at mabuhay tayong lahat.

No comments:

Custom Search