Monday

Paalam Tita Cory at Maraming Salamat!

I am writing this blog at the end of the 10 day period of mourning as declared by President Arroyo. Although it may be a little bit late, I am placing my share to the multitude of people, Filipinos and foreigners alike, in giving my 4 centavos worth on the life and death of Corazon Cojuangco Aquino.

Ten days ago, we lost a mother to us all. And tens of thousands of people later came to show their last respect.

For those who do not know me, I was born at the time when she was catapulted to national prominence. While my own mother patiently delivers me into the world, she prayerfully delivers her speech at the Miting de Avance for the 1986 Snap Election. I was a child during the coup attempts against her administration, and I even have a photograph of Gringo Honasan who hid in our house at Kawit. I remember blaming her for the 8 to 12 hours of electric blackout which was prevalent in the 1980s to 1990s. I remember her as the President and the mother of an actress who happens to be a childhood crush.

But despite of all the wrong things and policies in effect during her administration, I fondly remember calling her Tita Cory. Whenever my parents would ask me, "Who is the Philippine President?" I would vividly answer, "Tita Cory."

The former President is more than our country's leader, she is a mother to us all. She is like a distant aunt, who we can relate with. We share her experiences, her happiness and sadness. We listen to her intently when she speaks. She was our example of Christian piety. She is the epitome of a Filipina - prayerful, loving and simple. She is simply our Cory.

When she died last August 1, I saw in her the death my own grandmother. Peaceful in life, God gave them both a peaceful death. I was billeted at the Bayview Park Hotel when her cortege passed by from La Salle Greenhills to the Manila Cathedral. On the last day of her wake, I braved the rains and the floods of Intramuros, as I fell in line to view her remains. Although I could have passed by the dignitaries' entrance, I decided to go the long route to experience the common man's fate. I shared the line with Tony, a teacher from Norzagaray, Bulacan; Glenda and Joan of a brokerage company in front of the Cathedral; 5 employees of the Marine Slipway Port Services; 2 students who resides at Commonwealth and the women employees of Crawfords. We were together from 2100H of 4 August to 0200H of 5 August. But I am not sure if they succeeded in viewing Cory's remains, as I went out of my line and decided to pass through the VIP entrance nonetheless. While inside the Cathedral, I sat and pondered as I see the long queue of people, who waited for 5 to 6 hours, just to have at least a 3 second view of the President.

On the day of her funeral, I stood by in front of the US Embassy to catch one final glimpse of our former President. As the flat truck passed by, I was taking a video with my left hand, while raising my right hand with the "L" sign and chanting "Cory, Cory, Cory!" I did not realize that tears were forming at the corner of my eyes.

Tears were forming.

An icon of democracy has now been laid to rest. It is my fervent hope that her legacy would not be forgotten. I was a baby when history unfolded for our nation. A simple widow toppled a powerful strongman. With the power of prayer and people, she managed to lead our nation. 23 years later, I would be a witness to the end of an era, the passing of a torch. Whoever picks up the flag where it now lays is sure to face a tough comparison, but is also assured of the people's vigilant support.

Tita Cory, ito na ang huling paalam. Maraming Salamat! Tuloy pa rin ang LABAN!

No comments:

Custom Search