Wednesday

Realizations for the new year

With about few more hours left in 2008, I am bent on looking back at the past year, re-examine what I have accomplished for another 365 days and write it in a piece of paper, just like what I did last year before the strike of 12. But since this is the year I discovered the tool of cyberspace, I am not going to write in my new year's journal as usual, but in this blog, which can be read by anyone who browses my site.

I am trying hard to find my words for this year-ender, but I am apparently stuck with the adage that keeps repeating on my head just last night. We live only but once! It keeps on repeating in my head, that I decided to make it this year's topic.

2008 was another year for me. I turned 2 years past 2 decades this year, the second of the double digit that occurs in a persons' life. It is a bit strange to me, now that I began slowly to realize that I am not getting any younger. My birthday celebration was proof of that fact. I only had beers to share with two of my closest friends since high school, in a gasoline station pavillion an hour before February 4th. Although we went to a cabaret after the drinking session, it was not like the previous years were I spend almost P10,000 just for the drinks at home, excluding the food. On the day itself, I did not go to school. I did not treat any of my classmates, unlike again in the previous years, where I always have double or triple celebrations. Mamang cooked pansit for me, and it was only a quiet time with the family. 2008 was the quietest birthday celebration I had since I learned to booze it out with friends.

Last March, I finished the first year of law school. Although I made a comeback politically, as I won the Student Council seat for the 2nd year Batch Representative, and was elected by my fraternity brothers to an official position in the frat, I only managed to pass 1Y Law with somehow good track record. First semester was good, I was included in the Dean's List. But the second semester was a little bit worse. For the first time since I started to go to school, I was in the trouble of failing. It was some sort of luck and old style "politication" that did the trick. But I really did not like the result because I have not actually given a hundred percent of my effort in my studies, as I usually did way back in college. Another first time.

By April, we were confronted with the news that my first cousin Paola was pregnant and that she is to get married, otherwise she'll not be allowed to enroll for the summer term in her school. She got married on her birthday, which also happened to be Easter Sunday. The family at first received the news with dismay, but was eventually accepted wholeheartedly. Everyone was in the mood to celebrate even Tita Mae and Tito Miroy. Another first. Truthfully, our generation, was indeed, next in line. By September, Ezra Madison was born, and I became an uncle for the first time.

At the start of the school year, I was expecting some good. Sad to say, on the first day of classes, I was victimized by holduppers on my way to school. I reported the incident to police officers in the UBA area. We captured a person who I am quite sure is one of the robbers. I sent him to jail. But by some touch of godliness and forgiveness, I executed an affidavit of desistance and had him released. It was the first time crime was committed against my person, but I forgave him.

But jailing somebody seem to be the trend. By September, I was jailed for the first time. It was an experience that I shall never forget, and shall always be an important lesson in life.

October saw me leave the country for the first time. And now, I am writing this post, in country not my own, celebrated Christmas and New Year away from home for the first time, but with my family by my side.

As I look back, some would say that the topic of this post is first times. But it isn't. It is about living one's life, not as the first time or the last time. It is finding the reason, the purpose, the goal of one's existence. True, it may be the first time I experienced some things. It may or may not be the last. But the most important thing is that I made the journey worthwhile. And with everything up in God's hands, I am truly sure that 2009 would be another exciting year full of ups and downs in my life.

That is the gist. I am rushing to finish this as we are going to the house of another Filipino, where we are going to welcome the new year. Another first.

To everyone, my greetings for a new year!
Good luck and God bless us all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

happy new year, bro! :)

also, am informing you that I'll be moving into a new blog. it'll be:

http://chunkyinthemiddle.tumblr.com

:)

Custom Search