Wednesday

Law School is here! Again!

Hello Ian! We are your books and cases, and we're back!

Summer break is over, Barong and ID days are here again!


A few more days, I shall start a new chapter in my law school career. A straggling freshman a year ago, I am now a full-pledged sophomore law student. It has its advantages, as well as its not so “dis”-advantages. Let me enumerate them:

First, I now have my first Remedial Law subject, CRIMPROC. By such, I shall have working knowledge of the procedural requirements for criminal cases and the remedies that I can avail in those cases. I shall be exposed in trials of crimes, related Supreme Court rulings, and tons and tons of doctrines and flowcharts. I can better give advises in criminal law as I can now give my friends advices both on substantive and procedural law.

Second, I’ll encounter more Civil Law subjects, i.e. Property and Sales. At least, I can now understand Land Titles and Deeds if I happen to study it again in the future. Further, there are a lot of property cases in our record books. As for Sales, it is one important area of law that is of familiar usage in common day scenarios. So for fast and accurate street law, it is a must that I treat this 2 unit subject with respect. And if this 2-unit subject demands respect, what more shall a 4-unit Property subject…waaa! This is bitter sweet. Knowing the law, yet knowing that you know nothing. I guess the saying is true, the more you now, the lesser you know. But still, if I ace these subjects as I did the previous 3 Civil Law subjects (Persons & Family Relations, Obligations & Contracts and Land Titles & Deeds); I’ll be one step closer to finishing my Civil Laws.

Third, I’ll round up several core subjects, which I have a slight background. Political Laws, by taking up Administrative Law, Election Laws & Law on Public Corporation, and Labor Law by taking up Labor Relations. The first is a course regarding the Administrative Code of the Philippines, the Omnibus Election Code and the Local Government Code. Except Administrative Law, election laws and local laws are a favorite of mine. Way back in college, I breeze through these subjects, literally and figuratively, of course. Thus, I find no problem with those. But a typical law school attitude, don’t say its over unless it’s over, and even if it’s over, it’s not yet over unless you say it is. Well, most of you will get it if you go to law school. As for Labor Relations, it covers from Articles 211 to 302 of the Labor Code. It deals with the recourses of labor and management in cases of disputes.

Finally, I shall have my first legal elective subject (although I took my first elective during summer class, it does not count as it is taken in advance of the regular course of study). I decided to take Alternative Dispute Resolution as an elective. I remember my Ninong, Atty. Noli Lazaro, tell me that it is good to take mediation, arbitration and conciliation, as it is a rising field of law in the Philippines. It is probably because the courts are settling more of the cases filed before it through non confrontational settlement proceedings. It de-clogs court dockets and is good for justice and law administration. It promotes efficiency and effectivity in the judicial system.

Probably, many are wondering where the disadvantages are? In all of my words, it seems that these are the advantages. Well, it is true. These 4 are advantages, but they are also disadvantages at the same time. Why? Because studying law is a life long process. Everything is a test of character and determination. It is not just about wits, but also about skill. It finds the weakest spot in a would-be-lawyer heart and blasts it like a fire brand blow torch, as hot as a furnace. It tries to set away the impurities, melts the metal to its core and build it again, brand new. It redefines you as a man. You may cry your heart out. But so said an adage, what does not hurt, makes you stronger. Maybe it does, and I believe it does.

So where do I go from here? I shall be back to a semi secluded rhythm. Study, sleep, pray; eat while study, eat, pray, study, prepare, transport, study, eat, transport, study, pray, then back again. Gimmicks on appointed days, or when the professor yells at you for a giving a really stupid answer to a very hypothetical question that requires only a not so silly answer. Go out of the door, respected by your neighbors and almost everyone, except by your professors who hate you when you say pass, or I did not study the materials (although I have managed to do that once, especially with a lady professor who is really attracted to me, Hehe!). But with the male professors, you may sh*t blood but you cannot give a wrong answer, (Jan naman swerte ang mga babae kong classmate). But anyways, I miss the thrill of law school. And I am gearing to be back. So everyone, watch out!


I become really messy at times when I study!
Just see for yourself!


(Left) all of the reading materials I had during my entire FOUR (4) years in Political Science.
(Right) Reading materials for ONE (1) year of Law. See it is almost as tall as I am.


Study while drinking coffee, till the wee hours of the morning and at the same time, pondering if I gave the right answer during the day's recitation.


My hair, moustache and beard/goatee shall grow full length for good luck until the semester's end, then have it cut after the final exams for good looks and change.


I say hello again to the Red Horse Group and the Rus Parcia Movement, plus a lot of beers and alcohol on appointed days.


We eat again at Mister Kebab.


So I say hello again to my dearest classmates (LLB4101, now LLB4201)


To the brods and sis!


And to the dearest law building!
Where our dreams were formed, shaped and fulfilled!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sadly, I shall be left behind for a sem. saka ko na ipapaliwanag, it's still too raw. anyway, I'll be lending my reviewer in CrimPro to Kat Arzaga. If you want a copy, you can borrow it from her. I want to take it,but decided not to, for health reasons. I'll pray that I'll be with you again guys. God bless us! :)

Anj said...

I hope you'll be able to squeeze in some time when I get home before the end of the year. :P I'll see you! :D

- gela
http://www.derpinsel.com/weblog/

Custom Search