Saturday

Nearing the End of my Freshman Year

As I look back a year ago, I am filled with nostalgia. I reminisce the experiences I had as I First Year Law student, and say to myself, “Ayos ah”. Going to law school is a life long dream. Now that I am here, let me re-evaluate the things I have done and rethink the options I have as I move on to the next step in my chosen field of endeavor.

Academically, though I may have landed in the Dean’s List, I haven’t actually studied as I should have. If I would rate myself, I would give myself a 74%. I have not given all needed effort to learn the important principles in law, landmark cases, the related Supreme Court decisions, and worthy opinion of eminent authors in the field. What I have today is just a basic working knowledge of the law, not a thorough understanding of it. I don’t blame other people for my haphazard manner of learning, it’s just me. I have been used to this system since I was young. At first, I test the waters – finding out how to do things. Once I learn how to get things going, I tend to be lax. I am inclined to go easy on things, relax and enjoy the ride. I don’t think it is wrong to enjoy the ride through law school. But if I want to push through with my dream of being a bar topnotchers, I have correct my style, otherwise, it would be a vital defect in my study.

Socio-politically, I started early this time. Unlike my high school and college experience where I opened my doors to politics later in my course of study, the opposite is true in law school. During the first week of classes, I joined the only and exclusive fraternity in FEU Law, the TAU KAPPA PHI. From then on, I have been in daily contact with other law students. It prompted my fraternity brods to make me run as First Year Batch Representative. Although I lost, I made various contact with different sections. I became friends with most of them. Study buddies, yosi buddies, drinking buddies, war buddies, and fu-bu’s, name it, may nagsabi pa nga sakin, “crush” ng bayan daw ako. Wahehehe! Shucks, nakaka-flatter! Ang hangin ko na ah, hehehe! But seriously speaking, I am disputed to be one of the most familiar faces in FEU Law. Kaw ba naman ang KULOT! That’s why, when I run for Second Year Batch Representative, although one of my toughest fights, I won handedly. I thank my brods and batchmates, my sis from the Portia Sorority, my classmates in section LLB4101, section LLB4102, and some friends in section LLB4103 and LLB0104. Thanks also to the RPM. Batch Niño is a big help politically. Sanay na talaga kami sa school politics ni batch. But this does not stop here. If God wills it, I’ll be SC President.

Physically, this year is one of the unhealthier years for me. I gained almost 10 kilos, from 67 kilos in March 2007, today I’m almost 76 kilos. I eat a lot and drink a lot, but I exercise less. Ask anyone, most notices that I am bulkier than before. I lost my abs, I got a beer belly, and I am almost way over the BMI index for my height and weight. I have not forgotten my heart sickness, which is why in summer; I’ll schedule myself for a check-up. Better be sure than sorry. I have to remain fit, otherwise I would not enjoy the benefits of being a lawyer. True still is the saying, mens sana in corpore sano.

Mentally, I am prepared. I know I can go through this challenge as I have conditioned myself specifically for this day. As I have said, my goal is to be a bar topnotchers, not just a plain and simple lawyer. If you’re going to aim, go for the higher stone. Mediocrity is not in my vocabulary. I’ll make my mark, and I’ll make it sure that it stays there. I have already set my standards; I hope and pray that I have the tenacity and proficiency to maintain it.

Financially, I need some standing up to do. Although I fear not that I won’t finish my studies, thanks to Tita-Ninang Mae, there are a lot of expenses that is part and parcel of law school. First and foremost, the prohibitive cost of books. To date, I have spent P13,885 in law books, not to mention almost a thousand pesos in library fines, for books that I borrowed and failed to return on time. I have nearly P5,000 in photocopies of cases and reading materials, which when compared, amounts to the entire reading materials I photocopied during my college days. And that is just a year into law school. I am still dependent on my parents for allowance which makes it quite uneasy for me, because some if not most of my co-graduates are already earning on their own. Plus the fact that I have practically doubled my extra-curricular activities, it’s very unethical of me to be wasting a lot of my time without doing anything to fend off for myself. Although I have several sidelines, government contracting, plus those who are indebted to me, dami kasi may utang sakin, I don’t make it a habit of lending money art an interest. Thus, I shall make it a resolution – I have to find a work. I’ll be a working law student. It is primarily the reason why I entered FEU Law; their schedule was intended for working professionals. But I still am part of the largely unemployed majority of our countrymen. Thus, again, I have to work.

Socially, I am still the same social animal – my network of friends is growing. From my family, tropa, barkada, and former classmates to brods, sis, classmates, fellow law students and so on, I have made new acquaintances every single moment. Perhaps it is already my second nature to be friendly. But I’m really a home body, tamad ako umalis at hindi ako mahilig maglalalabas, so that is a major hindrance in my social life. Well, I have to live my life as I have for the past 22 years. Just minor adjustments, like if there is an exam, from 10 bottles of beer to just 4-5 bottles, or from going home at 5-6 AM, try going home by 1-2 AM. Hehehe!

Spiritually, I am closer to God than before. I now have a deeper understanding of my faith. I have grown in it. I have accepted my Savior; I have professed in Him my faith. I have weathered the tempest that shook the foundations of my belief in God. Now I dare not question the infinite goodness of God that He allows us to look for answers to questions that bother us. He even allows us to question His very existence. But because of His great love for us, He gave us Jesus Christ to redeem us from sin and death. There is this text message circulating in cell phones, stating that God in His immense wisdom allowed sin, evil and suffering to pervade our society, but because of His great love for us, He gave us His only Son. I have already accepted Christ as my redeemer. There is nothing more to ask for.

Emotionally, well, eto single pa rin. Too long a story to tell, perhaps, I’ll make a separate blog for it. But I do miss hugging the girl of my dreams. Nevertheless, it has not affected my studies. Pero, nakaka-miss ang feeling ng may serious girlfriend, yung feeling na secure kayo sa isa’t isa, yung alam mong may nag-mamahal sayo pagka-gising mo hanggang sa pagtulog, yung alam mong may nagdadasal na safe ka pagnagbibiyahe ka, yung may kasabay kang mangarap ng bukas, yung may kasabay kang managinip ng gising na ipinapanalangin mong hindi na sana matapos ang araw kapag kayo ang magkasama, yung may kasabay kang tumitingin sa kalangitan, at marami pang iba. I miss those moments. You may say I’m too cheesy about it, but I do miss those times. If I could only turn back the time, I would not have done the stupid things I did. But I know its God’s plan, and He when He makes a plan, He has a very good reason. Siguro eto yun, turuan ako ng lesson.

Now that I have rated myself, what would be next?

I can’t wait until I go to Second Year. I’ll learn property laws and torts, commercial and transactional laws. I am going to have my first elective subjects. Procedural laws shall be next, Civil and Criminal Procedure, which are very essential in practice. When people ask me about what remedies are available to them, I can answer them substantially and with authority.

After that, Junior Year would be a round-up of the next set of laws. Most of them involve commercial laws. Taxation would be there; tangina! It is one of the most dreaded subjects in law. Most say that half of law students stumble on taxation for obvious reasons. Hello!? Kaya nga kami nag-LAW eh! Walang math! Tapos may TAX. And its not just Tax1, there is Tax2. Pahirap diba? But with strong faith and strong will, I can do it! May the Force be with us!

Thus if all goes as planned, I can cross through Senior Year already. Puro review subjects na dun! Thus if I have studied well during my first to third year, there is no doubt that passing my review subjects would be easy. By that time, it would only be a year or so to graduation, to review classes, and eventually, the Bar Examinations. Therefore, I’ll be graduating from law school in March 2011, I’ll be taking the Bar in September 2011, and I’ll be addressed as ATTY. IAN DC ENCARNACION in April 2012, God willing among the Hall of Bar Topnotchers in Philippine Law History.

With my dreams finally true, I hope I'll have the time to roam the world and change the society. But perhaps I shall be settling down with a family by that time with my princess! It won’t be long! Time flies! But before everything else, I have to take my final exams next week and finish the Tinga Cases for this year’s bar examinations. Hehehe! God bless to one and all!

No comments:

Custom Search